Deb's Minestrone Soup
Hi there ~ this recipe is so simple it's almost embarrassing... but as requested here you go:
1 lb. Italian sausage cooked and drained of fat, then chopped into small pieces
2 pkgs. dry Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix, with 4 cups water
2 cans diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano
1 pkg. frozen spinach
1 cup wine
1 Tlbsp. white vinegar
optional extra additions:
any and all vegi's you have in the fridge.
any cooked pasta (just before serving)
Bring to a boil, then cook at medium high for at least 20 minutes. Ready in approx. 20 minutes.
That's the basic recipe. It's all about the doctoring that makes a difference...
top with parmesan and serve with a good crusty bread and viola' - Enjoy!
Sandy's White Chili with Chicken
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) Great Northern Beans, or use fresh cooked beans, drained & rinsed
- (I used White Cannellini Beans – They are white kidney beans)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper (add more if needed before adding chicken)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 (7 oz.) can diced green chilies (I used ½ can of the mild chilies)
- 5 c. diced cooked chicken breast
- 1 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small finely chopped jalapeno or serrano pepper (optional)
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- sliced black olives
- shredded lettuce
- chunky salsa, purchased or homemade
- sour cream
In slow cooker, combine beans, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, garlic, onion, white pepper, salt, oregano, cumin, cloves. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours. Stir occasionally.
Stir in green chilies, chicken and 1 cup chicken broth. If more broth is desired, add more chicken broth. For hotter taste, add diced jalapeno or serrano pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
STOVE TOP METHOD PREPARATION
Sauté onions. Add garlic, white pepper, salt, oregano, cumin and cloves. Cook together a couple of minutes. Add beans and chicken broth (about 3-4 cups); cook for about 30 minutes.
Add chicken & green chilies. Cook for about 20 more minutes.
Serve with whatever condiments you like and warmed flour tortillas. Or serve over brown rice. Serves 4 to 6.